Farm Fresh Veggie Bake
I call this Farm Fresh as it is Summer here in Jersey and the veggies are in abundance at the farms. We are called the Garden State! I have a local farm in the town called Dreyer's Farm that has been family owned since the early 1900's! The veggies are fresh and vibrant and I can't resist grabbing a bunch and cooking with them!
You could technically make this dish with other veggies you like but I went with eggplant, zucchini & cherry tomatoes since those are what I saw jumping out at me at the farm! They were so beautifully placed and the colors were so vibrant! They say you eat with your eyes and my eyes were delighted by these veggies and I knew right away these were the ones to go with!
You could grab all the ingredients needed for this recipe right there too besides the veggies. Fresh parsley and basil, garlic cloves and fresh parm cheese round out this yummy veggie bake. You could have this for a tasty side dish to any protein you choose or it works well on its own too.
Once you chop all the veggies into bite size pieces, drizzle some good quality olive oil over the top, add the fresh garlic cloves, salt, pepper, and freshly grated parm cheese. Toss it well to combine and transfer to an oven-safe casserole dish. After it is all done baking, top with fresh basil & parsley and even add more fresh grated parm to top it off with that salty flavor. Yummo!
I love how the cherry tomatoes cook down and make their own sauce to give this dish a juicy taste. Lots of flavors going on here - definitely not a boring veggie dish! Once my little patio garden blooms I will be able to use my own veggies for this recipe next time!
If you give it a try don't forget to comment below and tag me on Instagram! I love to see what you are cooking in your kitchen!
Farm Fresh Veggie Bake
3 medium zucchini
1 small eggplant
1-pint cherry tomatoes
4 garlic cloves
1 tbsp quality olive oil
1/3 cup fresh grated parm cheese (plus for topping if desired)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Fresh chopped parsley & basil
1. Preheat oven to 375F and lightly grease a 3-quart casserole dish (or similar)
2. Peel zucchini (you can leave the skin on if desired) cut into bite-size pieces. I slice in half then half again and cut into half moons. Same with the eggplant - optional to peel. Then slice the cherry tomatoes in half. Add all veggies to a large bowl.
3. Drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper to taste, garlic, parm cheese and sprinkle half of the fresh herbs.
4. Transfer to baking dish and bake for about 30 minutes. If you want them a bit more tender you can cover with tinfoil and bake 10 minutes more so not to burn.
5. After baked through, sprinkle with more fresh parm cheese and top with the remaining fresh herbs.
6. Serve warm and enjoy with a side of lean protein or on its own!