Homemade Almond Butter
There is no secret that I have a love affair of all nut butters...especially almond! I have tried numerous brands and you can often find me browsing the nut butter aisle in awe....just looking to see if there is any I have not tried yet!
The only downfall is often the price tag that accompanies them. You can score a good deal at Trader Joes for their almond butter at $6.99 but most are at an upwards of $10-$12!! So I got to thinking...why not attempt to make my own!!??
The bulk bins will be your most economical option as I picked up some raw almonds for a few dollars to bring home that would transform into my very first homemade almond butter creation!
After roasting them for a few minutes I added them to my food processor and starting pulsing away.
It starts to look like an almond meal for a while! Patience is key here my friends. As I stopped to scrape down the sides a few times, I all but lost hope and thought, nope I am destined to buy $12 jars of almond butter forever! Then the magic happened and it truned into a smooth and creamy masterpeice!
Oh, yea!! It is then at this point, and only at this point is when you add in the fun stuff. I went with sea salt, vanilla, and honey. You can get so creative here and add other mixes in - I am thinking chocolate chips next time as everything is so warm from all the blending they will melt beautifully. Maybe different extracts like coffee or hazelnut?! The possibilities are endless and totally in your control - even with other nut varieties you can try this out!
It does come out thicker but I like it that way. You can always add some good quality oil to thin it out. Totally optional! I stored mine in a mason jar in the fridge and grab a spoonful every day. Not a day goes by that I don't have a spoonful of some sort of nut butter!! This is one love affair I don't plan on breaking up with anytime soon!
Let me know if you give it a try! I promise super easy - just be patient as it does it magic! Be sure to tag me on Instagram when you do!
3 cups raw almonds (or another nut of choice)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbs honey or pure maple syrup
1. Roast almonds in oven at 350F for about 5-7 minutes. Make sure they do not burn.
2. Let them cool for a few minutes so they are warm and not hot.
3. Pour into a food processor or blender and patiently blend until creamy and smooth. Stop to scrape down sides often. If the blender gets too hot, pause and let it cool a minute before continuing on.
4. Once the magic happens and it is smooth and creamy then add the mix-ins.
5. Blend again so everything is mixed well together. Let cool and store in airtight jar in the fridge for a week or 2 (if it lasts that long!)
6. Check for spoilage if kept longer.