Gluten Free Brownies

Gluten Free Brownies

I like to live life by the 80/20 rule.  You know, eat healthy 80% of the time and the other 20% indulge and live a little!  To me, this is the balance. I feel that balance is key to maintaining your health & fitness goals otherwise we get fed up if we can't enjoy those cheat meals.  Then we fall off the diet wagon, drag it into the woods, set it on fire and use the insurance money to buy brownies!! lol!

Ok maybe not that drastic but you know what I mean!  So speaking of brownies these bad boys right here are a perfect way to enjoy a healthy cheat treat. 

Free of refined sugars and flour but not on taste these delicious brownies are sure to hit the spot when you are craving something sweet - which for me is often! You can really cater this recipe to your liking with what chocolate you use.  I went with one dark chocolate bar and one milk chocolate to balance out the taste. Plus this way I knew my kids would enjoy it too - too much dark chocolate and they turn away!

The key is to use good quality chocolate but also one that you enjoy eating by itself. I love Alter Ego as it is free of soy, non-GMO, gluten-free and organic - and of course tastes great! Keeping it gluten free called for almond flour and coconut sugar.  These are staples in my house for baking.

They cook up in less than 30 minutes and your house will smell like a chocolate wonderland! You're welcome! Once cooled I cut them into 16 squares to keep the portion sizes in check.  While they are a healthier version - calories still add up here! Get creative and add whatever topping you choose!  I went with almond butter and I think jelly on top would go perfectly!  My kids had them over ice cream and made their own brownie sundaes! They raved about how good they tasted! 

A bonus is that you can wrap them individually and keep them in the freezer for a quick treat at a later date! Let's look at them one more time....

Ok so now the question is, what will you pair them with?! Don't forget to tag me on Instagram if you give them a try or comment below!



2/3 cup almond flour
1 Tbs cacao powder
2 bars of your favorite chocolate
1/2 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup coconut sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
Sea Salt to sprinkle
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I love Enjoy Life)


1. Preheat oven to 375F
2. Grease an 8x8 pan well (or use parchment paper)
3. Add almond flour & cocoa powder together in a bowl with a sprinkle of sea salt.
4. Add the chocolate bars pieces and coconut oil to a microwave safe bowl and heat in increments of 30 seconds until completely melted and blended together.
5. Add the coconut sugar and blend well. 
6. Add the eggs to the same mixture of the chocolate and mix well along with the vanilla extract. Just mix until well combined
7. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold in chocolate chips with a spatula.
8. Pour into 8x8 pan and bake for 25-30 minutes (depending on your oven).
9. Insert a toothpick to check for doneness.
10. Let cool completely before cutting into 16 squares. Add topping before consuming. 
11. Will stay good in a closed container in the fridge for a few days or individually wrap and freeze for a few months.
12. Enjoy!