Lemony Blueberry Bread
I know I am not alone when my sweet tooth kicks in, right? I truly love chocolate and all things peanut butter and there used to be a doughnut or cupcake I would never say no to! (Now its just a healthier version and in moderation!) While on my health and fitness journey I don't like to deprive myself just because I am choosing healthier options. I still indulge in the occasional pizza, I enjoy my wine on the weekends and when that sweet tooth strikes I am armed with several recipes of how to handle it in the healthiest way possible.
My go to is usually an almond butter banana combo (like my banana oat muffins or almond butter energy bars) but this time I opted for some fruit and since our lemon tree is finally sprouting lemons (a long several months later!) I came across a recipe for lemony blueberry bread.
Super simple to make right in a loaf pan and then topped with almond slices for a nice crunch on top. This bread came out moist and that extra lemon flavor from the lemon extract really takes your taste buds over the top!
Instead of white flour I used almond flour, honey to sweeten in place of sugar and fresh blueberries. You can use ghee or oil in place of butter - I used coconut oil. I am sure any berry would go delish or any other nut topping or coconut flakes too! That is the beauty of baking sometimes - swapping what you want as your fav's!
But I will say those fresh blueberries look & taste so yummy - I sliced it up and wrapped them individually. I kept some in the fridge to snack on (along with my son who loves them - he is my best critic!) and I froze the rest to enjoy at a later date when my craving for something sweet and cake like kicks in!
Would love to hear if you make this too! Comment and share with me on my IG page!
2 cups almond flour
1 tsp baking soda
Sprinkle of salt
1/4 cup tapioca flour
3 eggs (room temp)
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup honey
3 Tbs lemon juice (fresh squeezed if possible)
1 tsp almond or hazelnut extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract (that flavor boost option!)
3/4 cup fresh blueberries
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray liberally a medium loaf pan.
2. Mix almond flour, tapioca flour, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl.
3. In a separate bowl (I just used a measuring cup) add the wet ingredients and mix well. (eggs, oil, honey, lemon juice and extracts)
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix well to combine.
5. Add in blueberries or any other fruit you are using.
6. Pour batter into loaf pan and sprinkle almond slices on top.
7. Bake for about 20 minutes uncovered and then cover for an additional 20 - this will prevent it from browning too much.
8. Use the toothpick method to check doneness.
9. I let it cool completely before taking it out of the pan.
10. Slice and enjoy!
Post a Comment