As I continue on my plant based journey I had to get creative with BBQ night. Where once before I indulged in either grass fed burgers or homemade turkey burgers I now opt for a homemade mediterranean burger! I must say they came out pretty darn tasty too!
My family looks at me like I am nuts, wonder when this phase will end but I must admit I am feeling good and not missing animal protein as this present time (this is not to say I will always feel this way - disclaimer! lol)
To make them in such perfect round patties I used these egg molds! They work perfect for all things round! Cookies, bread, pancakes......versatile! I like them to look neat and round and this way I keep the portion size perfect too! See...how perfect!!
Just look at all the pretty colors in there! You know you are getting a rainbow of nutrition with these bad boys! Think sundried tomatoes, fresh spinach & herbs of your liking to make your taste buds explode with flavor! Who says eating plant based is boring?! When you open your mind to the possibilities of what you can make with your food options, it becomes a lot more fun and creative to eat! Oh and sooo not boring!
In a blender I added chick peas (great source of fiber & protein), farro (you can also use quinoa) and old fashioned rolled oats as my base. Then you get creative and add your favorite veggies - this is where I added in sundried tomatoes, feta, olives and spinach. Top it off with fresh herbs as parsley and cilantro and you got yourself a Mediterranean Burger my friends!
Now here is where you really get creative and add some yummy toppings! Over salad, on a bun with tomatoes, spread avocado slices on it....the possibilities are endless but ever so yummy! How would you eat your Mediterranean burger - share below! I am always looking for new ways to enjoy a good ol' burger - veggie burger that is!
1/2 C uncooked farro
1 C old fashioned oats
1 15oz can chickpeas (rinsed)
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
2 Cups fresh spinach (cooked and wilted down)
1 large egg
1/4 C crumbled feta (omit if vegan)
1/4 C pitted olives - chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 tsp salt and pepper
1 Tbs chopped fresh parsley & basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1. Cook farro in 1 cup water (according to package directions) Once cooked set aside.
2. While cooking place sundried tomatoes in hot water to let rehydrate.
3. In food processor, mix farro, chickpeas, oats, garlic, oregano, S&P. Blend mixture well then add egg to blend again.
4. Transfer to a bowl and add in sundried tomatoes, cooked down spinach, olives, feta and fresh herbs.
5. Use egg molds or hand to make 4-6 patties - depending on how thick you make them.
6. Drizzle heated skillet over medium heat and cook veggie burgers on both sides until browned and cooked though - about 8-10 minutes total.
7. Serve on buns, over salad, or however you wish!!!
*These will freeze well once cooked too