Fajita Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Since Zucchini’s are in season and you can find them virtually anywhere (even in your own garden), I have decided to take a break from my spiralizer and hop on the boat trend…zucchini boat that is! I have seen many versions of these stuffed with many different fillings. Yes they are that versatile! I went with a fajita style that is 21 Day Fix friendly. You can use the turkey fajita recipe straight from the 21 DF book if you want to get the exact container count. Below you will find my recipe with my container count that will produce the following delicious looking zucchini boats!!
* 3 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, most of the flesh scooped out
* 1 medium yellow onion, diced
*2 cloves garlic, minced
*1 Tbs Olive Oil
*1 lb lean ground turkey breast (or beef)
* 1 tsp southwest salt free (McCormick)
*1 tsp cumin
*1 tsp smoked paprika
* sea salt and pepper to taste
*1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
* 1 cup drained and rinsed black beans (I use either Target or Whole Foods in the box instead of canned)
*3 Tbs fresh cilantro
*1 Tbs fresh lime juice
*2/3 cup shredded cheese (I used fresh ciliegine mozzarella balls – just a few)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until golden (about 5-7 minutes), then add garlic and sauté a few minutes longer (be sure not to burn).
2. Transfer onion mixture to plate. Brown meat in same pan and season with S&P.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low, add tomatoes, onion mixture, black beans, seasonings and season with S&P. Cook until heated through.
4. Add mixture to each zucchini half (press fillings to fit). Cover baking dish with foil and bake about 15-20 minutes. Remove foil and add cheese evenly on top of each boat. Return to oven and bake until cheese has melted.